We’ve finally got Tom Panos on the show! For those who’s unfamiliar with Tom, he’s the founder of the Real Estate Gym, 5am Club, co-host of the Million Dollar Agent podcast, a weekly commentator on SKY News Business, Channel 602, Real Estate Advertising Director for News Corp and is one of Sydney’s leading Real Estate Auctioneers as well as being a sought-after keynote for the Real Estate industry. On top of that, he’s also an active property investor and has been investing for the past 25 years.
So what will the three of them be chatting about today? Here are some bullet points!
- How will having a regime in your daily life help you
- What are Tom’s drives to success and how they’ve changed over time
- Why playing the long game matters in property investing
- How did Tom start his portfolio and tips for investors who are looking to do the same
- Formula for a successful renovation project
- Tom’s response to those who are concerned with the media’s property boom and bust stories
- His mentors in life and relationship with Jon McGrath
- Top 3 tips for buyers looking to bid at auction
If you like this podcast: “Secret To Making Money While You Sleep – Chat with Tom Panos”, don’t forget to rate us on our iTunes channel (The Property Couch Podcast) and our Facebook page. If you have any questions or ideas, feel free to drop us your thoughts here: http://www.thepropertycouch.com.au/topics/
Today’s podcast title is a direct quote from our special guest, Craig Stephens! As the Managing Director of Jas Stephens, with a history spanning over 90 years and four generations and the leading real estate agency in Melbourne’s Inner West, Craig is also an active investor himself who started building his portfolio back in the late 1980s. He started off as a bond trader and worked with Merrill Lynch in London before coming back to Melbourne to take over the family’s business. With his experience, both in the financial and property market, the three of them discuss about:
- What are the critical elements in a successful business and how similar they are with property portfolios
- Who motivated him to buy his first property and his investment strategy ever since
- The market trend for the past 20 years in Melbourne’s inner west
- What is the Rule of 72 and does property doubles every ten years
- Who should be on your panel of experts and why only meeting your accountant at tax times isn’t good enough
- Understanding the risk in buying a property
- Tips for buyers when dealing with real estate agents and when to get in touch
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast:
- REA Video | Having trouble saving? Time to forecast your finances >> Watch here
- Recommended Book | Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill >> Learn more
- Bryce’s Life Hack | How I organise Evernote by Michael Hyatt >> Read here
- CoreLogic | Quarterly Housing & Economic Review – April 2017 Release >> Download here
- CoreLogic | May Home Value Index >> Read here
If you like this podcast: “Create Wealth Through Your Assets, Not Your Pay Packet – Chat with Craig Stephens, Managing Director of Jas Stephens”, don’t forget to rate us on our iTunes channel (The Property Couch Podcast) and our Facebook page. If you have any questions or ideas, feel free to drop us your thoughts here: http://www.thepropertycouch.com.au/topics/
Bryce recently appeared on our good friend, Kevin Turner’s podcast, Real Estate Talk and we thought it would be a good idea to share it with you guys! If you haven’t check it out yet, tune in to Kevin’s podcast for some great quality property investment news, tips and strategy from Australia’s Top Property Experts and more. In this Bonusisode, Bryce and Kevin will be chatting about:
- Why Bryce chose property out of all the asset classes out there
- What motivated him to start investing in property
- His first property and the mistakes he had made in the early years
- The awareness on property investing and level of resources out there for investors
- Best advice for someone who’s thinking about starting an investment property portfolio
If you like this podcast: “Chat between TPC and Real Estate Talk – Why I love property?”, don’t forget to rate us on our iTunes channel (The Property Couch Podcast) and our Facebook page. If you have any questions or ideas, feel free to drop us your thoughts here: http://www.thepropertycouch.com.au/topics/.
Back in Episode 102, Bryce and Ben discussed if we are facing an affordability issue and when Jan Somers appeared on our show last month, she mentioned that her aunt was also concerned about housing affordability back in the 1950s. Now, with the Federal Budget just a couple of months away, this topic appears yet again, and it seems to be the favourite amongst our politicians.
This time, the debate is about improving affordability for first home buyers. Now, don’t get us wrong. The Property Couch believes in the Great Australian Dream and owning your home. But as mentioned before, your first home will not be luxurious nor will it tick all the criteria of your dream home. This is about setting the right expectation because you would get to your dream home, and you would be able to get that quarter acre house eventually. But it will not happen overnight. You need to work for it, and you need to be smart with your decisions especially when it comes to money and planning for the future. Your first home, may not be your dream home but this does not mean that your second or third home wouldn’t be.
That is why education around property and awareness on the risk of investing in property is so important. This is one of the suggestions that Bryce and Ben chat about to improve affordability in the Australian Property Market. Tune in to find out the rest.
And the other stuff mentioned in this episode are:
- Has the Way We Look at Financial Stability Changed Since the Global Financial Crisis? – Speech by Michelle Bullock, Assistant Governor (Financial System) of RBA: Listen/Read Here
- Core Logic’s Pain and Gain Quarterly Report : Download Here
- Fact Sheet on Guarantor Loan : Download Here
- Bryce’s video on the four players in the industry is part of the Property Formula video series. If you are interested to watch this, you can Register Here
And as always, if you like this episode (Five Ways To Improve Affordability), don’t forget to rate us on our iTunes channel and our Facebook page. Any questions or ideas? Feel free to drop us your thoughts here: http://www.thepropertycouch.com.au/topics/
After last week’s much-anticipated talk with Jan Somers who is an example of someone who has made many successful choices when building her 40 plus year old portfolio, today’s episode features Bryce and Ben discussing seven of the most common ways many of us lose money when investing in property. With key advice and some examples of how and why the choices we make as property investors can have a negative impact on our portfolios, the guys make sure to warn us and help us understand why these ways can cost you money rather than make you more.
The first way to lose money in property is choosing the wrong location. As they have mentioned in countless episodes, location does 80% of the heavy lifting when purchasing property so making sure you have the right location is one of the key things to look for. It covers many areas such as amenities, human interest and practicality; so getting it right means a lot to your portfolio. To find out the rest of the points, make sure you tune in to this latest episode!
And don’t forget, we will be at the Melbourne Property Buyer Expo this weekend so if you are around, do come and say hi! 🙂
The other stuff mentioned in this episode are:
And as always, if you like this episode (7 Ways To Lose Money In Property), don’t forget to rate us on our iTunes channel (The Property Couch Podcast) and our Facebook page. Any questions or ideas? Feel free to drop us your thoughts here: http://www.thepropertycouch.com.au/topics/
As promised, here is the second part of the highly anticipated Episode featuring the incredibly humble housewife, author of 4 best selling property books, sophisticated property investor and a property educator extraordinaire, Jan Somers.
In this part, Bryce, Ben and Jan discuss the following areas:
- The mistakes she made along the way – holiday homes, overcapitalising and more
- Types of properties she likes to invest in
- Her thoughts on borderless investing and if it is for everyone
- Australia’s housing affordability issue and are we in one?
- Ideas on renovating and adding value to your investment property
- Most common questions she gets asked when it comes to property investment
- Will property forever be a sound investment class
- How she utilises the money she earns for good causes
We hope you would enjoy listening to her as much as we do. As mentioned in the first part, Jan is definitely a property educator that is worth listening to as her years of expertise and knowledge in property investing is absolute gold!
Here’s the link to her books and the PIA Investor software: Click here.
And as always, if you like this episode (Chat with Jan Somers, Housewife And Property Multimillionaire – Part 2), don’t forget to rate us on our iTunes channel (The Property Couch Podcast) and our Facebook page. Any questions or ideas? Feel free to drop us your thoughts here: http://www.thepropertycouch.com.au/topics/